Once I read Chioma Ezeugwu’s ebook, 10 Places Money Hides, I got intrigued when I saw “Money hides in problems”. It took some afterthoughts before i was able to bear witness to the genuineness in her submission.
Looking closely into my society and the world at large, I began to wonder the principal motivations behind businesses that has ever be done in the world, behind innovations, behind creativities, behind revolutions. I found out that a great deal of them are rooted in problem solving.
To think that every course in the University is geared towards finding solutions to issues circling it’s instauration either by virtue of training professionals who would be at the Frontline of implementing strategies to problem solving using their skillfulness or in form of systematic investigations to establish facts, identify problems and proffer solutions through research.
Looking deep into the Nigeria business and professional settings, the issues associated with the Nigeria society has given credence to businesses to make wealth. All facets of the economy is laden with problems that will leave smart thinkers and actiontakers wealthy.
Let’s take a few instances of problems and measures business creators and facilitators have taken to address issues for wealth sake.
- Imagine a country that run without electricity or the kwashiorkor kind of electricity supply served in Nigeria. It was in a premise to find a good alternative to electricity shortages that led to the invention, manufacturing, import/export, sales and usage of generators. The chain of individuals who make wealth through a single unit of generator produced – the inventor, the manufacturer, the channels of distribution and carriage, custom fees, the wholesalers, retailers, the petrol stations, the generator spare parts sellers and not to forget, the generator maintainers.
Behind the scene, a lot of skills are required to market and sell a unit of generator produced and this chain of individuals who contributes to these make lots of money.
- Mobile phones has since invention touched and limited issues and challenges associated with distant communications. The greatly admired thing sorrounding mobile phones is that the smarter a mobile phone gets, the more problems it tends to solve. The chain of individuals/establishments who make money through a model/unit of Mobile phone produced is uncountable.
- One of the greatest issues facing the world round from year to year, country to country, place to place, endemic to epidemic to pandemic, is health challenges and the need for health improvement. The opportunities created by a particular disease is too numerous to count. From medical discoveries down to a community chemist, society and individuals at large. To combat diseases, both medical and orthodox business opportunities in the health sect keeps growing.
- Few days back, I was enjoying posts littered in my Facebook timeline when I saw an Ad with a headline “Computer Village Tour Guide” I scrolled a little down and noticed the Ad has so much engagements which caught my interest. I clicked on and found out through the ad copy that the business is about solving a problem of exorbitant rate at which traders sell fake gadgets especially to JJCs at Computer Village. The guider takes shoppers to places where they can buy quality gadgets at the cheapest rate with a service charge. That is mind-blowing! Saving people from purchasing poorly produced artifacts and making money through such kindness.
- Crime puts societies at a social and economic disadvantage which requires the government to always spend a good portion of her budget in order to hold it in. Social security agencies, departments, parastatals and networks has become one of the hotcakes in employment opportunity creations in Nigeria due to the ever increasing crime rate. Private security setups has been thriving as a complementary security platform to the insufficiency of state security. Crime investigatory instruments and platforms, to mention but a few are all opportunities caused into existence by various societal issues. Business opportunists who build their lines of business around crime control measures of any sort have no other choice to but to make money. Imagine if there’s no crime in our society, our security personnels would have been out of job.
- We won’t deny the fact that there’s a sharp increase in establishment of religious centers in the past decade. Traditional, christian Muslim etc. This growth level is fired by intense spiritual problems wrecking the society to insanity and leaving people in the lurch. Churches will keep growing as spiritual problems grow. Today, people call themselves to become pastors, priests, diviners, witch doctors, imams etc often as a strategy to make money through spiritual problems.
- That gentle man/lady who uses his/her POS business help you to take off the stress of going to stand in distant/tiring queues before you can withdraw your last 2k or whatever amount from the ATM machines inside school. You get charged for your POS transactions. As little as those charges seem, same token from different transactions generate so much income on a daily turn.
- Ordinarily, we are supposed to run to ogige each time we want to buy your consumables even something of little cost like a biscuit, That provision outlet in your hostel was opened to provide you quick and near shopping while they make their sales through your quick buys. What about the hotels and motels that provide people with good/luxurious accomodations when you would have found yourself at one cozy spot chilling the night with mosquitoes simply because you are stranded. It take lodgers no big sweat paying for such accommodation but that is a serious cash out for hoteliers.
- About mouth washes, toothpastes, deodorants, antiperspirants, perfumes, body washes. With serious mouth or body odour, tell me why you wouldn’t patronize body care products and enrich their business?
- With E-commerce businesses like Jumia, Konga, Amazon etc. You don’t need to defile your busy schedule to tour market round before you can buy a product. With the internet tapping the glory of traditional businesses, you don’t need to own a shop before you can sell. Measures have been put in place to bridge the distance challenge between buyers and sellers at a financial gain by those platforms.
Some social misnomers which have become part of our social culture, through a thorough research, our academic courses can be very instrumental in problem identification in the society, business, health, leadership etc.
Most people don’t patronize businesses for want of luxury but on account of need caused by problems. There is money littered in the illusions of our different challenges and it takes smartness to bring it into reality.
Stay thoughtful on this digest until I write to you next time!
Aniekwe Angela Chidiogo